Table of Contents
Cannabis Butter, or cannabutter, is one of the basic ingredients used in making edibles.To make cannabutter, you will need some basic ingredients and equipment.
- A Cup of Butter
- A Cup of Coarsely Ground Cannabis
- A Cup of Water
- A Crockpot or Baking Tray
- Parchment Paper
- A Saucepan or Stockpot
- A Fine Mesh Strainer
Directions for Making Cannabutter
Decarb The Marijuana First:
- Place your cannabis either in a crockpot or on a baking sheet; covered with parchment paper. The parchment paper will prevent your cannabis from sticking to the crockpot or baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to about 247 degrees F (approx. 119 degrees C).
- Place your crockpot or baking sheet into the oven.
- Set your timer for about 30 to 40 minutes. However, older cannabis strains may require less time.
Grind The Marijuana:
- Let the cannabis cool a little, you don’t want to burn yourself.
- Then, using a hand grinder, coarsely grind the marijuana you have decarbed. You want a coarse setting, as too fine of a grind can introduce off-flavors to your butter.
Combining the Ingredients and Infusing:
- Add the cup of butter to the cup of water in a saucepan or a stockpot.
- Melt the butter on low heat.
- Water is needed when melting butter because it helps keep the temperature regulated. This helps to stop your butter from scorching.
- Add the ground marijuana once the butter has started melting.
- Maintain a very low heat and simmer the contents in the pot for about 2 to 3 hours.
- Make sure to stir the butter occasionally.
- Keep an eye on the Butter. You do not want it to burn.
Strain The Marijuana Butter
- Once the butter has been infused, remove it from the heat.
- Get a bowl or something to store it in
- Pour the infusion out of the pot and through the strainer and into the bowl. Make sure that the holes in the strainer are smaller than the ground marijuana.
- When the butter has been strained, put it in the fridge to harden.
- When it hardens, the excess water will separate from the butter.
- Remove the excess water and store your Cannabutter in the fridge.
Cannabutter can last up to three weeks in the fridge if you store it properly. If you made a large batch, you can store it in the freezer for up to six months. Find out more onour blog post about cannabutter.