To make Cannabutter, you will need some basic ingredients and equipment.
What you will need:
- Cup of Butter
- Cup of Coarsely Ground Cannabis
- Cup of Water
- Crockpot or Baking Tray
- Parchment Paper
- Saucepan or StockpotA Fine Mesh Strainer
Directions for making cannabutter
Decarb the marijuana first:
- Place your cannabis in a crockpot or on a baking sheet; covered with parchment paper. The parchment paper will prevent your cannabis from sticking to the crockpot or baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to about 247 degrees F (approx. 119 degrees C).
- Place your crockpot or baking sheet into the oven.
- Set your timer for about 30 to 40 minutes. However, older cannabis strains may require less time.
Want to know about decarbing? Check out this video we made:
Grind the marijuana:
- Let the cannabis cool a little; you don’t want to burn yourself.
- Then, using a hand grinder, coarsely grind the marijuana you have described. You want a coarse setting, as too fine of a grind can introduce off-flavors to your butter.
Combining the ingredients and infusing:
- Add butter to the cup of water in a saucepan or a stockpot.
- Melt the butter on low heat.
- Water is needed when melting butter because it helps regulate the temperature. This helps to stop your butter from scorching.
- Add the ground marijuana once the butter has started melting.
- Maintain low heat and simmer the contents in the pot for about 2 to 3 hours.
- Make sure to stir the butter occasionally.
- Keep an eye on the butter. You do not want it to burn.
Strain the marijuana butter
- Once the butter has been infused, remove it from the heat.
- Get a bowl or something to store it in
- Pour the infusion out of the pot, through the filter, and into the bowl. Make sure the holes in the filter are smaller than the ground marijuana.
- When the butter has been strained, put it in the fridge to harden.
- When it hardens, the excess water will separate from the butter.
- Remove the excess water and store your Cannabutter in the fridge.
Cannabutter can last up to three weeks in the fridge if you store it properly. If you made a large batch, you could store it in the freezer for up to six months.
Dosing your cannabis butter
The next important part of making Cannabutter is to know your dosage. The correct dosage will determine how strong your Cannabutter is.
Dosing will depend on many factors. The most obvious factor is the potency of your cannabis strain. If you want a potent cannabutter, use a potent strain of marijuana. If you want Cannabutter with limited potency, try infusing the butter with a less potent strain.
If you are preparing a large batch of Cannabutter, use a larger quantity of cannabis. This is especially important if you are working with a less potent strain of marijuana. Some strains can be so potent that you must use limited quantities to make huge quantities of butter.
don’t use too much marijuana in your butter. There is only so much that the butter can absorb. At a certain point, you are just wasting weed.
You have your Cannabutter; what do you make with It?
So you have made your Cannabutter and want to try it out. But what can you do with it? A large variety of edibles can be made from Cannabutter . Anything that can be made with butter can be made with Cannabutter.
5 Baked goods you can make using Cannabutter
Pot Brownies. Always a classic. You can make great pot brownies using Cannabutter. You can use any brownie recipe for making regular brownies, substitute Cannabutter instead of the oil or butter in the recipe. Can’t find a good recipe? Check out our blog post on pot brownies.
Cannabis chocolate chip cookies. Not too fond of brownies, but want to have a classic snack loaded with your favorite weed? Put your Cannabutter into a chocolate chip cookie recipe. Cannabis Chocolate Chip Cookies are easy to make and delicious.
Cannabis banana bread. Is there anything better than a nice warm slab of banana bread? You bet there is. A nice warm slab of Cannabis Banana Bread. Made with cannabutter, Cannabis Banana Bread is delicious. If you have never made it, you will wonder why after you try it.
Cannabutter fudge. Fudge. Cannabis. Do I even need to say anything else? Cannabutter and fudge go together like a weed and munchies J. Using Cannabutter in your fudge will take the enjoyment of your fudge to a whole new level.
Space cakes. It’s a classic. Space Cakes. Even people who know nothing about marijuana have heard of space cakes. You can use your cannabutter to make space cakes.
These are some ideas for great edibles you can make using Cannabutter. There are so many edibles you can make using Cannabutter; the sky’s the limit! The only thing limiting your creation is your imagination. So get out there and make some cannabis-based snacks. Maybe you have an idea or recipe that no one has thought of yet.