What comes to your mind when you hear about glycerin? Perhaps a liquid solution that contains some sweetness due to the honey used in extraction. Today, cannabis glycerin is a buzzword you will hear almost all the time among stoners. Using glycerin to make a cannabis extract helps you come up with the tastiest cannabis concentrate.
It is unfair for a keen AMS follower not to know how to make a vegetable glycerin tincture in the comfort of your own home.
Before diving into all the details on how to make a super cannabis glycerin tincture, let's have a glance at the…
Benefits of making your Glycerin tincture
- Making a cannabis tincture infused with glycerin is one of the easiest recipes to come up with and to enjoy the effects of your favorite strain, regardless of your status as a beginner or a veteran.
- It is easy to tweak a cannabis tincture to suit one's tastes and preferences. For instance, the method of how to flavor glycerin tincture is easy. You can make them either subtle or strong by choosing the corresponding strain.
- You can select your favorite strains for specific times of the day. For example, Sativa strains for daytime use, and Indica strains for the night.
- A glycerin tincture is discreet and can be taken from anywhere.
- Marijuana glycerin tinctures can produce an entourage effect. The terpenes, cannabinoids, and flavonoids available in tinctures will allow you to benefit from all aspects of cannabis. This is mainly due to the whole spectrum nature of the tincture.
- There is an array of administration methods depending on the user's preference. For instance, if one wishes for fast cannabis effects, the sublingual (basically under the tongue) administration is the go-to option. On the other hand, oral tincture consumption makes the effects stay in the body for longer, even though they can take some time to kick in.
- Glycerin tinctures are free from alcohol. This makes it an excellent choice for those that are avoiding alcohol.
How to make a cannabis vegatable-glycerin tincture extract
While most cannabis tinctures get made using extraction agents like honey or alcohol, our write-up will show how you can use the glycerol extraction procedure to make your extract. Some manufacturers use vegetable glycerin in the production of tinctures. This means there is a a need for due diligence, as some are unsafe for people to use. As you buy your vegetable glycerin, go for one safe for human consumption.
Photo by RR Medicinals from Pexels
We also understand that you may be worried about how to flavor glycerin tincture now that we have said that we won't use honey to make it. This odorless and colorless liquid (vegetable glycerin) obtained from plant oils like coconut, palm, or soy contains a sweet natural taste. It is a good substitute for pot enthusiasts who don't like the consumption of alcohol.
To make a glycerin extract, let's look at how you will begin the process.
20 Grams (0.7 Ounce) of ground, well-dried cannabis flower
125ml (4.2 fl. oz.) of vegetable glycerin (food grade)
Means of cooking
A dropper bottle
- Start by breaking the carboxyl group from the cannabis flower. Also called decarboxylating cannabis, it involves the conversion of CBDA to CBD and THCA to THC. This will help the entourage effect and enable the user to garner all the effects of a specific pot strain. Decarboxylating weed involves heating cannabis at medium temperatures (preferably between 100°C and 115°C). The temperature should be kept at these temperatures so as not to destroy the concentrate's terpenes, flavonoids, and potency.
- After 40 minutes, let the weed cool down. Then place the decarbed weed between your fingers and roll it. If it breaks fast, then the time is ripe to make concentrate.
- Grind the cannabis and place it in a bowl. Pour the vegetable glycerin into the bowl.
- Stir the glycerin and the cannabis until there is a uniform mixture
- Place the mixture in a crockpot and set the heat at 85°C. Time it precisely for an hour. The color should turn from green to olive. Using a wooden spoon, stir this mixture and return it to heat until it becomes brown. That should take between 6 and 7 hours.
- Let the mixture heat for the next 24 hours, but ensure that you stir it using the wooden spoon every 4 hours.
- Place the mixture in a cheesecloth over a bowl after 24 hours. Putting cold glycerin through a cheesecloth can be a daunting task. You want to ensure the temperature is high enough that the glycerin flows somewhat freely.
- Allow the extract to cool, and using a funnel, pour the obtained extract into dropper bottles.
- Enjoy your homemade cannabis extract tincture.
Glycerin cannabis tends to be highly potent. That said, it would help big time if the maker is careful about the amounts of tincture being used.
Storing your cannabis glycerin extract
Cannabis glycerin tincture has a somewhat short shelf life. Unfortunately, unless you know how to store your homemade goodie, the shelf-life will keep getting shorter.
On average, vegetable glycerin tincture will stay potent for a year. The sooner you take it after it is made, the more potent it will be.
As mentioned on the equipment list, dropper bottles are on the list. It would be best to place it in the bottle and refrigerate the extract when you are not using it. This is a highly potent product. It should be kept out of the reach of children.
To prevent the loss of flavor, the bottles should be tightly closed. Closing the lids tightly is an ideal way to preserve the flavor and make the potency last as long as possible.