What comes to your mind when you hear about glycerin? Perhaps a liquid solution that contains some sweetness due to the honey used in extraction. Today, cannabis glycerin is a buzzword you will hear almost all the time among stoners. Using glycerin to make a cannabis extract helps you come up with the tastiest cannabis concentrate.
It is unfair for a keen AMS follower like you to not know how you can make a vegetable glycerin tincture in the comfort of your own home.
Before diving into all the details on how to make a super cannabis glycerin tincture, let’s have a glance at the…
Benefits of Making Your Glycerin Tincture
- Making a cannabis tincture infused with glycerin is one of the easiest recipes to come up with and to enjoy the effects of your favorite strain, regardless of your status as a beginner or a veteran.
- It is easy to tweak a cannabis tincture to suit one's tastes and preferences. For instance, the method on how to flavor glycerin tincture is easy. You can make them either subtle or strong by choosing the corresponding strain.
- You can select your favorite strains for specific times of the day. Sativa strains for day time use and Indicas for the night.
- A glycerin tincture is discreet and can literally be taken from anywhere.
- Marijuana glycerin tinctures can produce an entourage effect. The terpenes, cannabinoids, and flavonoids available in tinctures will allow you to benefit from all aspects of the cannabis. This is due largely to the full spectrum nature of the tincture.
- There is an array of administration methods depending on the preference of the user. For instance, if one wishes fast cannabis effects, the sublingual (basically under the tongue) administration is the go-to option. On the other hand, oral tincture consumption makes the effects stay in the body for a longer time, even though they can take quite some time to kick in.
- Glycerin tinctures are free from alcohol. This makes it a great choice for those that are avoiding alcohol.
How to Make a Cannabis Vegetable-Glycerin Tincture Extract
While most cannabis tinctures get made using extraction agents like honey or alcohol, our write-up will show how you can use the glycerol extraction procedure to make your extract. Some manufacturers use vegetable glycerin in the production of tinctures. This means there is need for due diligence, as some are not safe for people to use. As you buy your vegetable glycerin, be sure to go for that which is safe for human consumption.
Photo by RR Medicinals from Pexels
We also understand that you may be worried how to flavor glycerin tincture now that we have said that we won’t be using honey to make it. Well, this odorless and colorless liquid (vegetable glycerin) obtained from plant oils like coconut, palm, or soy contains a sweet natural taste. It is a good substitute for the pot enthusiasts who don't like the consumption of alcohol.
To make a glycerin extract, let’s look at how you will begin the process.
20g of ground, well-dried cannabis flower
125ml of vegetable glycerin (food grade)
Means of cooking
A dropper bottle
- Start off by breaking the carboxyl group from the cannabis flower. Also called decarboxylating cannabis, it involves the conversion of CBDA to CBD and THCA to THC. This will help in upping the entourage effect and enabling the user to garner all the effects of a specific pot strain. Decarboxylating weed involves heating cannabis at medium temperatures (preferably between 100°C and 115°C). The temperature should be kept at these temperatures so as not to destroy the terpenes, flavonoids and potency of the concentrate.
- After 40 minutes, let the weed cool down. Then place the decarbed weed between your fingers and roll it. If it breaks fast, then the time is ripe to make a concentrate.
- Grind the cannabis and place it in a bowl. Pour the vegetable glycerin into the bowl.
- Stir the glycerin and the cannabis until there is a uniform mixture
- Place the mixture in a crockpot and set the heat at 85°C. Time it precisely for an hour. The color should turn from green to olive. Using a wooden spoon, stir this mixture and return it to heat until it becomes brown. That should take between 6 and 7 hours.
- Let the mixture heat for the next 24 hours, but ensure that you stir it using the wooden spoon every 4 hours.
- Place the mixture in a cheesecloth over a bowl after 24 hours. Putting cold glycerin through a cheesecloth can be a daunting task. You want to make sure that the temperature is high enough that the glycerin flows somewhat freely.
- Allow the extract to cool and using a funnel, pour the obtained extract into dropper bottles.
- Enjoy your home-made cannabis extract tincture.
Glycerin cannabis tends to be highly potent. That said, it would help big time if the maker is careful about the amounts of tincture being used.
Storing Your Cannabis Glycerin Extract
Cannabis glycerin tincture has a somewhat short shelf life. Unless you know how to store your home-made goodie, then the shelf-life will keep on getting shorter and shorter.
On average, vegetable glycerin tincture will stay potent for a maximum of a year. The sooner you take it after it is made, the more potent it will be.
As mentioned on the equipment list, dropper bottles are among the list. It would be best to place it the bottle and refrigerate the extract when you are not using it. This is an extremely potent product. It goes without saying that it should be kept out of the reach of children.
In order to prevent the loss of flavor, the bottles should be tightly closed. Closing the lids tightly is an ideal way to preserve the flavor, but also to make the potency last as long as possible.